West Liberty University (DEAP)
The West Virginia University (WVU) School of Dentistry and West Liberty University (WLU) have partnered for a Dental Early Admission Program (DEAP). This collaborative program provides rising sophomores at West Liberty University potential early admission into WVU's School of Dentistry Doctor of Dental Surgery (D.D.S.) program.
For additional information please review the program brochure.
WLU/WVU DEAP Admission Requirements
Students admitted to WLU/WVU DEAP must:
- Have completed at least 30 semester hours but no more 75 semester hours, with a minimum of a 3.60 GPA, to include at least two (2) of the required Biology, Chemistry, and Math core courses each semester. Core courses are listed under “Undergraduate Curriculum.”
- Students must have successfully completed Bio 302/303 and Bio 328/334 before official entry to the WVU Doctor of Dental Surgery Program.
- Take one Chemistry, one Biology and one Mathematics core course per semester during their freshman year.
- Complete the Physics core courses by the completion of their sophomore year.
Prior to admission to WLU/WVU DEAP, students must have at least 10 hours of documented observation in one or more general dental practices.
Upon acceptance to WLU/WVU DEAP, students sign a commitment statement affirming their intention to satisfy program requirements and participate in WLU/WVU DEAP activities.
WLU/WVU DEAP participants typically are expected to complete their undergraduate degree at WLU within 4 years.
WLU/WVU DEAP Ongoing Requirements
To continue participation in DEAP while enrolled in West Liberty University, students must:
- Maintain 3.60 overall and science GPAs.
- Maintain standards of honesty, integrity, and citizenship.
Students accepted into the WLU/WVU DEAP program will be guaranteed admittance to the WVU dental program if they:
- Successfully complete all prerequisite courses for dental school admission and all other requirements, including immunizations and criminal background clearance.
- Have overall and science GPAs of 3.60 or above at West Liberty University.
- Take the Dental Admission Test (DAT) and score at or above the average Academic and Perceptual Ability Test (PAT) scores achieved by the previous WVU entering dental class.
- Fulfill preparatory community service (minimum 50 hours) and dental shadowing requirements (minimum 50 hours in various general dental practices).
- Successfully complete dental school application and interview requirements.
- Demonstrate honesty, integrity, leadership and citizenship.
- Individuals who receive provisional acceptance to the WVU School of Dentistry educational programs must pass a Criminal Background Investigation (CBI), at their own expense, prior to final acceptance to the WVU School of Dentistry.