Why choose WVU Dental Hygiene?
- First and only four-year integrated Bachelor of Science degree in dental hygiene.
- Team-oriented programming within the dental school
- Emphasis on working interprofessionally with other health care providers
- Small classes
- Low faculty-to-student ratio in classes, labs and clinic
- Students spend six semesters providing direct patient care
- Patient care performed in on-campus student clinic
- Eight weeks of patient care performed off campus (externship) in rural care environment
- Program typically has a 100 percent job placement rate for graduates
As a licensed health professional and oral health educator, the dental hygienist has an important role in the overall health and welfare of the public. The dental hygienist is an integral part of the dental team, providing direct patient care based on the prevention of disease.