- Provide a learning environment that will assist the resident in attaining the technical competence, knowledge and professional responsibility needed to meet the oral and maxillofacial surgical needs of the state and region.
- Prepare residents to competently practice the full scope of oral and maxillofacial surgery both in knowledge and surgical expertise.
- Provide didactic instruction and clinical experiences that will prepare the residents for specialty board certification.
- Enhance the resident’s understanding and application of research through assigned activities and projects in the areas of oral and maxillofacial surgery, and allied sciences.
- Provide an opportunity to the citizens of the community and region to obtain surgical care through the operation of clinics and to provide diagnostic, consultative, and treatment services to all patients referred to the WVU School of Dentistry and WVU Hospitals, Inc.
- Instill in the residents the desire to continue their education throughout their professional career.
- Produce graduates that are sensitive to the importance of interacting with all health-care professionals optimizing the health status of the citizens of the state and nation.