West Virginia University School of Dentistry, in cooperation with the Health Sciences Center Office of Interprofessional Education, is one of 22 nationally and internationally Tobacco Treatment Training Programs certified by the Council for Tobacco Treatment Training Programs (CTTTP).
The three-day course is set for May 20 - 22, 2020. Professionals in the fields of medicine, dentistry, social work, pharmacy, nursing and public health will present evidence-based strategies to assist patients and clients interested in tobacco cessation.
This course is recommended for:
- physicians, physician assistants
- dentists, dental hygienists
- nurse practitioners, nurses
- social workers
- respiratory therapists
- licensed practicing counselors
- health care providers that encounter tobacco using patients/clients
Following the course participants should be able to:
- Describe the science behind tobacco addiction, nicotine withdrawal symptoms and effective tobacco use treatments
- Inform patients about the causes and consequences of tobacco use
- Develop individualized treatment plans
- Provide evidence based treatment for all tobacco users
- Track patient progress and measure outcomes
- Educate other healthcare providers and the public about tobacco treatment issues.
WVU Health Sciences Office of Continuing Education
5302 Health Sciences South
P.O. Box 9080
Morgantown, WV 26506-9080