Step One: Qualifications
Admission to the Orthodontic Preceptor Residency Program is competitive. Prior to enrollment, the applicant must hold a DDS or DMD from a program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) and possess a West Virginia dental license. The successful candidate must demonstrate outstanding communication abilities, both written and oral, in the English language. Applicants who have completed an advanced dental program in the United States, but from countries where English is not the native language, are exempt from the TOEFL examination.
Step Two: Apply to WVU
Criteria to evaluate candidates include:
- Letter of interest and career goals
- Dental school transcripts
- Recommendations from three dental faculty
- Personal interview which includes onsite composed essay
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and spoken
- Congruence between the applicant’s skills and abilities
The applicant’s didactic; laboratory and clinical performance in Orthodontic courses will be closely evaluated.
Application Requirements, Deadline and Fee:
Application deadline is March 28th of each year. This is subject to extension based on the application pool. Interested applicants are encouraged to visit the WVU SoD website or contact the program director to confirm current deadlines.
An application fee to West Virginia University as a non-degree graduate student is required and must accompany the application.
The following information is required for a complete application:
- A current resume with photograph
- Letter of interest describing applicant’s strengths, accomplishments, and career goals
- Official dental school transcript
- Three letters of reference from dental faculty who can address the applicant’s: a) clinical skills in dentistry b) communication skills (written and oral) c) interpersonal skills d) maturity e)likelihood of success in the OPRP
The application and instructions are available at. https://app.applyyourself.com/AYApplicantLogin/fl_ApplicantConnectLogin.asp?id=wvugrad
Official academic transcripts must be submitted directly to:
WVU Admissions Office
One Waterfront Place
PO Box 6009
Morgantown, WV 26506-6009
Step Three: Interview
Candidates who receive favorable review of the aforementioned application materials must participate in a personal interview before the WVU Department of Orthdontics Admissions Committee.
Step Four: Acceptance
Prior to commencing the OPRP, students must obtain criminal background clearance. The background check is conducted by a screening agency designated by the West Virginia University School of Dentistry (WVU SoD). [Detailed information is available on the WVU SoD website] The CBI is at the applicants’ personal expense.
Conditions Following Offer of Admission:
Individuals admitted to the 9-month OPRP must comply with all regulations and standards established by the WVU SoD, WVU, and WVU Board of Governors.
All enrollees must comply with the immunization and diagnostic procedures required by the WVU Board of Governors, WVU University, the WVU Robert C. Byrd Health Sciences Center and/or the School of Dentistry. Proof of immunizations must be submitted prior to commencement of program.
Information on Bloodborne Pathogens and Infectious Disease