The West Virginia University School of Dentistry is heavily involved with recruiting West Virginians all across the state. We are affiliated with other schools and programs to expand the dental education pipeline. Some examples of current and historical outreach programs are:
- Brush with Dentistry: A two-day summer program to introduce West Virginia middle school students to the exciting field of dentistry. Students in the 6th-8th grades and their parents/guardians participate in hands-on activities and various dental workshops.
- Dental ACADEMY: This four-day summer program attracts West Virginia high school students who want to learn more about a career in dentistry. The program offers many educational experiences for participants to learn about the art and science of dentistry while strengthening their understanding of the academic skills and personal attributes needed to attend dental school.
- Destination Dentistry: This full-day program to help West Virginia pre-dental college students chart a successful path into dental school includes seminars on basic sciences, oral health, and dental career topics; roundtable discussions about applying to dental school; and laboratory activities offered by dental faculty and students.
- Dental Early Admissions Programs: In collaboration with West Liberty University, Shepherd University, and Slippery Rock University, these dental school pipeline initiatives help pre-dental students make a smooth transition to dental school.
- Governors Honors Academy Seminar: As part of the multi-week summer program for West Virginia 11th grade high school students, the WVU School of Dentistry provides an interactive, multi-module presentation to participants designed to increase oral health awareness and highlight dental careers.
- ADEA Virtual Recruitment Fair: A virtual exhibit highlighting the WVU School of Dentistry, dental student life, and DDS program admissions criteria and procedures is presented annually as part of the American Dental Education Association (ADEA) free online career fair for pre-dental students. Interactive chats and sessions hosted by dental admissions staff and dental students are key features.
- Women’s Health Promotion: In conjunction with the WVU Heart Institute, the WVU National Center of Excellence in Women’s Health, and the American Heart Association, the School of Dentistry provides oral health education as part of the annual Go Red for Women’s Health community health promotion event.